Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday Meet & Greet - Mae Oh My...

Monday Meet and Greet


So this week we have Mae, otherwise known as Zaytyll. I'm doing another piece here soon to pimp out the girls, but I can tell you now that Mae possesses some serious hidden fucking talent for writing. And besides all that, she's been one of my biggest supporters for all my stuff, and for me personally as well.

Mae's debut into writing started with this little gem here, which is a one shot for the DILF contest called Finally Found Love. I immediately fell in love with this one-shot. Mae's writing is articulate and expressive, you really think you're inside her story! You're there! After you get to know Mae, please take some time and check our her work, you won't be disappointed. And Unfathomable Bonds? Well, it's just getting started, but this story WILL be another epic Jasper/Bella tale. It's completely original, and you gotta love that. So here's Mae. Enjoy.


Tell us about yourself. Married? Single? Kids? Age? Whatever you'd like to share.

Mae: I’m a 37 year old single woman. I live in Pennsylvania, but do most everything in Delaware. I share a house with my sister, Kim, with whom I am very close. We live on separate levels and have our own spaces, so it’s very ideal for us.

I’m also very close with my niece, Amanda, who lives about 5 minutes away. She is a smart little almost-13-year-old and I love spending time with her. She’s a lot of fun. We bond over Twilight/fanfiction, Sims, books, movies, and all kinds of other things.




Tell us about Twilight. How did you first get into the Saga? When was the first time you read it? Which book is your favorite?

Mae: Well, Kim had read the books when they were released and had been following the series for ages. Then, a few years ago she got Amanda to start reading them. Kim had been trying to get me to read them for ages, but I always put it off because I was in the middle of another series, or just too busy with other things, etc.

When the movie was advertised, Kim and Amanda started talking about it, but I decided to wait to read the books until after the movie. So, we went on opening night, stood in line and everything, and saw the movie. It was … okay. Without knowing the book, the plot was a little disjointed, like pieces were missing, and I wasn’t super impressed with it.

So, since I’d seen the movie and it left me kinda ‘hanging’, I grabbed Kim’s books and started reading them – all 4 in 3 or 4 working days. I didn’t sleep much that week! I remember it was right around Thanksgiving, too. As soon as I read them again, I grabbed my niece and went to the movie again. It was much better when you have an idea of what’s going on and not the crap that ended up onscreen.

I really enjoyed the books when I read them. So much so, that I read them again immediately after, and I re-read a few scenes even more than that. I also thought Edward was awesome (I didn’t know any better at the time)! I do still like Eddie, but only in certain instances.

So, after seeing the movie more times that I probably should have, I started finding it laughable, and getting upset at how much they fucked up between the book and movie. I had many discussions with a few people about this. LOL You don’t want to get me started.

I don’t know if I could pick a favorite from the books, because there is stuff I hate in so many of the books. Twilight and Midnight Sun were good, but I liked parts of the other books better. New Moon was good at the end, once you meet the Volturi and such, but I had so much trouble reading most of that book. Eclipse has some good action and I love a few scenes in there. And Breaking Dawn, well, I did like a couple things in there, though the rest is just LUNACY!

Overall, I’d probably say Twilight was the best, but that’s only barely (I might have chosen Midnight Sun if it had been just a little further along). Keep in mind, my view of the books NOW is severely tainted by the fact that I have heard them picked apart piece by piece, and even done so myself a few times. This has made me almost hate the books and realize things about the plot and characters that you don’t always see on first reading or even the fourth or tenth reading unless you are truly analyzing it.

What got you started reading Twilight Fanfiction? Do you remember the first fic you read? What are your favorite stories?

Mae: I don’t remember exactly how I found the first fanfic site. I was caught up in the hype that was Twilight and wanted to know more. I’d scoured the movie site and SM’s site, read Midnight Sun, etc. I was starved for ‘more’. I somehow ended up on a fanfic site, Ramblings and Thoughts, with stories on there. I also eventually found Twilighted, and later FFn.

I remember reading a short story that was Alice’s POV during Twilight when she was having visions and pushing Edward and Bella together. But, the first real story I read was When Darkness Turns to Light by Janna Banana. I was hooked! I actually was reading it on Twilighted first, I think, but it wasn’t complete. I remember seeing a review that said something about it being complete or further along, at least, so I googled and found it on FFn. I think I may have had to wait for, like, the last chapter, or something.

Regardless, that story is what started my love for Jasper. I had been sort of Team Edward until then. I liked Jasper, but had trouble reading anything romantic with Alice in it. But, when I read WDTTL and saw the Jasper/Bella pairing, that was it. I started looking for more, eventually stumbling onto a lil fic called Colliding Meteors by our lil Kay (IdreamofEddy). Anyone who’s read our tribute knows that Colliding Meteors cemented the deal for me when it comes to Jasper. I read everything she had at the time (like 20ish chapters, I think) in one night. If you know IdreamofEddy’s style, you know how long her chapters are! I was hooked, and I told her so, EVERY chapter LOL. I reviewed and gushed and fangirled over it so much that IdreamofEddy probably thought she had a stalker problem. IdreamofEddy’s “God of War” is my favorite Jasper. 

From there, I was addicted. I scoured Twilighted mostly, obsessively clicking the “Most Recent” button to find more fics. Eventually, I realized FFn was more user-friendly in many cases, so if I found something on Twilighted, I’d search for it on FFn so I could have a decent story list.

After reading and trying to keep up with all the stories, and which was which, I finally got fed up. I was so confused with what I’d read, not read, read only part of, etc., that I loaded up Excel and started a spreadsheet. It’s now a bit of a monster, but it is sooo helpful! I included if I’d read it or not, how many chapters and which I’ve read, when it was last updated, which pairing, some have links to their stories on FFn, and the summaries. It’s color coded and everything, but it makes it so easy. I know, I’m crazy obsessed. You can say it! (You can see more about this on my blog post about it.)



Who are your favorite characters, from who you like the most to er...who you would like readers to kill right off the bat?

Mae: My favorite character is Jasper, hands down. And I don’t mean the pussy he was throughout most the books, either. If you want to think in terms of the books, think the Jasper who is teaching the wolves in Eclipse. But really, I love the Jasper who was born in fanfiction, i.e. the God of War. There is just something about that man that makes my panties just melt away. /sigh

My absolute, least favorite character, who I consider the poster child for psycho stalker rapist, is Jake. I still, to this day, don’t see what Bella ever saw in that boy. And how many times does he have to be told 'no' before he gets the hint? Though, I do have to give him some benefit of the doubt in that Bella didn’t enforce her 'no's very well.

That brings us to Bella. I can’t stand canon Bella, but she is almost the only heroine I will read in fanfic. I very rarely read others, like maybe 5 times ever. I don’t know why. But canon Bella drives me insane and while Bella is in my fic, she will not be very canon. My Bella will actually be mature, intelligent, able to take a compliment, won’t be an ungrateful bitch about presents or birthdays, and can walk like a normal human.

Which fics are you reading right now, and which ones have your complete attention whenever they pop with an update?

Mae: I am reading SO many fics it’s not funny, but some that own me right now:

Insecurities by JamesRamsey – B/J of course. It’s very reminiscent of Colliding Meteors for me, complete with a “God of War”. I love how Jasper and Bella interact. They connect and forge a bond so strong, it’s amazing. And, it doesn’t develop overnight like so many other stories do. It happens over time, as they spend time together, becoming friends and eventually come clean on their feelings for each other. I also love that Bella is a normal vampire. She has issues – bloodlust, freaky mood swings, strength issues, everything! It’s great to see the non super Bella in a fic.

Master of the Universe by Snowqueen’s Icedragon – Yes, it’s B/E, but it’s my favorite Eddie. I love this fic. They both throw each other for a loop and while you seriously contemplate tying them to chairs in a room to make them communicate, it’s still a great fic. And, oh fucking hell is it steamy! /fans self I swear this Edward knocks my socks off, along with every other piece of my clothing. If he showed me his playroom, I’d be on my knees, head down, and wrists out saying “Please Master” in an instant! Not only that, but I just love how Bella is able to push Edward off kilter time and again without even realizing it. Their romance, while unconventional and full of issues and lack of communication, is still beautiful to see.

Mostly, I prefer to read J/B fics, but I will read any male (except Jake) pairing with Bella that has a good summary and piques my interest. If the summary doesn’t get me, I probably won’t read the fic. I also love original plots. I don’t mind starting from certain points, but make the story interesting and not just another retelling of either the books or someone else’s fic.

What made you finally decide to start writing your own?

Mae: Well, I’ve written for ages, since I was little, off and on. Before fanfiction, I was mostly writing stories to go with my RPG characters and some erotica here and there.

Once I started reading fanfiction, I loved it. At first I was so caught up in reading that I didn’t consider writing. Then, I eventually thought it would be great to try my hand at it, but still I hesitated. I really wanted to write, but couldn’t come up with a good plot that just hooked me. I did eventually write a one shot for the DILF contest. I enjoyed doing it, even if I did write half of it while out of my mind sick LOL.

So I brainstormed, a lot, on what I’d like to write. I eventually ended up having several long phone conversations with one of my best friends, Kelli, who helped me with plot ideas and twists. We talked for hours, shaping and reshaping the ideas until finally the idea of Unfathomable Bonds was born. It still took me ages to actually start writing it. Even now, it takes me a while and I spend a lot of time researching so I can give my readers as correct information as possible and to add color and interest to the story in places. It’s a lot of work, but I love it, no matter how much I grumble while writing LOL!

People who helped inspire me to write:

Kelli, of course: She has always loved my stories and when I told her I wanted to write fanfiction, she was very supportive, thus the hours on the phone helping me LOL.

Kay: I had mentioned wanting to write in a review I gave her for Colliding Meteors months and months ago and she encouraged me to do it. Always has.

The Late Show: They helped motivate me and urged me to try writing a multi chapter fic.

Maj: Always there to inspire me to write more. Constantly nagging me for updates and information. She’s awesomeness personified.

Sarah: My first beta. She sat and listened and helped me work out plotlines. She also did an amazing job helping me with my writing and the first chapters would not have been as good as they are without her input. She did a lot more than dot my 'i's and cross my 't's.

Tina: A fellow Lamb and my new beta. She was my first thought when I found myself without a beta and she graciously agreed, for which I can’t thank her enough. She also sat and listened while I hashed through the plotlines with her, and added a few ideas of her own. I’m very excited to be working with her.

Readers: After I wrote my one shot, sooo many people asked me to continue writing either that one shot or something else. It was a great inspiration and now that I’ve started Unfathomable Bonds, I have a few saying that they are enjoying it so far.

What's the atmosphere like when you're writing: music, quiet, kids screaming and ripping each other apart, husband bitching in the background? Do you drink and/or smoke?

Mae: Quiet mostly. Sometimes I may have music in the background, but it’s usually something not too vocal, like Mediaeval Baebes or Conjure One. If I put on pop or rock or that type of music, it’s too wordy and I’m focusing on the lyrics and not the story.

I am sometimes interrupted, or let myself be, by story updates, IMs, Twitter, etc. Depends how the story is flowing from my brain to the screen at the time. Like at the moment, I let myself be more distracted because I’m having difficulty with what I’m writing.

What else do you like to read besides fan fiction?

Mae: Honestly, I read almost nothing but Twilight fanfiction at the moment. However, before all this, I read a lot. I read romance, mostly paranormal/sci-fi romance. Every blue moon I may pick up something sci-fi, fantasy, mystical, historical, or something like that, but most of the time it’s romance.

My favorite author is Sherrilyn Kenyon, who is amazing. She’s developed a world so complex that you wouldn’t believe it. A mixture of ancient history, contemporary places, Greek mythology, werewolves, and vampires. If you love really good, complex stories filled with romance, action, and drama, this is definitely for you. One of my favorite characters has to be Vane, a were hunter who is just so deliciously sweet and yummy.

She has like 20 some books in her Dark/Were/Dream Hunter series and they are all unique. I can’t tell you how often I’ve read a series and after like 5 or 10 books they just start sounding the same. Not her, uh uh! They are all amazing and I always have such trouble picking favorites.

She also has a website with details and profiles on almost ALL her characters – dozens of them. And there is a yearly convention, K-Con, that sells out in 20 minutes every time. I WISH I could go one year! Seriously, I strongly advise you check her out.

Another author I really enjoy is Christine Feehan. She writes a couple of series that are just amazing. First, you have the Dark series, or Carpathians, which is about vampires. It’s romantic, dramatic, and filled with action and even a little violence. I absolutely adore her twist on the whole soul mate thing. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if you actually KNEW when you met your soul mate? /sigh It’s so good.

Then, she has the Drake sisters, who are witches – seven daughters of a seventh daughter, which has gone on for generations. It’s a story replete with magic, power, intrigue, drama, love, and family. The way the sisters interact is just heartwarming and the men are just delicious.

And finally, you have the Ghostwalkers. Essentially a mad scientist does experiments on people that broaden their psychic abilities, strengthening them. It’s also filled with intrigue, drama, action, violence, and love. There is also a very strong military bend to this story. It’s not my usual type, but it’s very well done.

I very strongly suggest you check out these two authors. I very highly recommend both of them!

What else do you like to do?

Mae: Well, obviously I love to read and write. *grin*

I also love movies – horror, action, and sci-fi, mostly. I don’t do drama much, but I’ll take romance and comedy sometimes, depending on plot. Some favorites: Pride and Prejudice (most versions), Bride and Prejudice, Scarlet Pimpernel (most versions), Phantom of the Opera (most versions), Lord of the Rings trilogy, Dune and Children of Dune (both versions), Star Wars Saga, Love Actually, Iron Man, Doomsday, movies based on Barbara Cartland books, Alien and Aliens, The Crow trilogy, Army of Darkness, The Grudge, Hellraiser series, Queen of the Damned, Serenity, Underworld series, The Surge, Stay Alive, …

I’ve also gotten hooked on some TV shows, mostly Criminal Minds because of Reid. He’s so adorkably hot! I also watch CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY, NCIS, NCIS LA, Sanctuary, Bones, a few anime shows when I can find them, and a bunch of HGTV and Food Network shows. And I watch some Travel and History channel type stuff when something interesting catches my eye.

Otherwise, I go out occasionally, hang out with friends and family. We also stay in and tend to play things like American Idol on the Xbox 360, which is the ONLY time I will sing in front of people (only because I can turn my voice off and not hear myself).

Tell us a secret?

I dunno what to tell. I kinda already admitted to embarrassing things like my fanfic spreadsheet and that I liked the books and canon Edward at first haha!

I actually tend to not have much I won’t tell, so ask me anything. If there is anything I wouldn’t tell you, I won’t, and I wouldn’t put it on here either. :p

One reason to go watch a movie with Mae and her niece:

Mae: I do have a funny Twilight story to share. My niece and I saw the first movie like way too many times. Anyway, one of the times we went, we’re just sitting there watching, and it’s the serious scene with Bella in the hospital and all upset, telling Edward he can’t leave her, etc. So, when Edward says “Where else am I gonna go?”, my niece yells out, “South America!” I died. I cried, I was laughing so hard. I couldn’t breathe. We spent the rest of the movie in hysterics with people shushing us because of that. Man, it was funny shit! I love my niece!


Tina was out looking for some material we could plug into Mae's Meet and Greet, she found some of their dumb laws. Every state has them, some of these though are just great...

Dumb Pennsylvania Laws

  • It is contrary to Pennsylvania law to discharge a gun, cannon, revolver or other explosive weapon at a wedding.

  • It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. However up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law.

  • It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

  • Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.

  • A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.

  • You may not sing in the bathtub.

  • Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents.

  • A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

  • Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.

  • Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when either the bride or groom is drunk.

  • No more than two packages of beer at a time may be purchased, unless you are buying from an official "beer distributor"

  • All liquor stores must be run by the state.

  • Motorized vehicles are not to be sold on Sundays.

  • You may not catch a fish with your hands.

  • You may not catch a fish by any body part except the mouth.

  • Dynamite is not to be used to catch fish.

  • Though you do not need a fishing license to fish on your own land, but a hunting license is required to hunt on your own land.


  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment