Thursday, December 17, 2009

Word of the Week - Phantasmagoria



Main Entry: phan·tas·ma·go·ria
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)fan-ˌtaz-mə-ˈgȯr-ē-ə\
Function: noun
Etymology: French phantasmagorie, from phantasme phantasm (from Old French fantasme) + -agorie (perhaps from Greek agora assembly) — more at agora
Date: circa 1802

1 : an exhibition of optical effects and illusions
2 a : a constantly shifting complex succession of things seen or imagined b : a scene that constantly changes
3 : a bizarre or fantastic combination, collection, or assemblage

— phan·tas·ma·gor·ic \-ˈgȯr-ik, -ˈgär-\ or phan·tas·ma·gor·i·cal \-i-kəl\ adjective

Catonspeed examples:

As used in The Workshop A Tale Of Edible Delights by danieller123, Chapter 18:

'A phantasmagoria was being painted in my mind of how vastly my life was being changed. Our lives…our lives were being changed. I was no longer just Bella Swan, his boss, and he was no longer Edward Cullen, my employee.'

Or...

Catonspeed was looking for an image to illustrate the Word of the Week, and had a fucked up flashback of this one night, in college, when she shouted at her friends carpet to stay still, because she thought it was a phantasmagoria - and there had been far too much beer pong for that kind of fuckery. And she was drunk. Much like she is now. Hence the third person talkingisms. Yeah, that's right - posting and drunk. Check out the multi-tasking skills! Booyah!---booyah you, you`re fucking drunk...so, there isn`t a chance in hell that I`m beta-reading this shit, Luce...yep, not a chance in hell! Plus, my computer thinks it is French maintenant...so even my apostrophes are fucked at the moment xxx

Graphical representation:



This is a close up of aforementioned carpet. Fuck knows why I have a copy on my phone... perhaps just for this very day! I feel I need to add though, that the carpet was not chosen - it was student house, and you got what you were given, and that god awful pattern hid a multitude of sins, stains, and stories. Good times.

Despite its awesomeness, it was still fuck ugly though... nothing could redeem it from that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment