Thursday, January 28, 2010

Word of the Week - Fail

Well... I'm on my lunch break at work and need a break from writing cheery reports on death statistics in natural hazards for this science book I'm going to be a part of, sooooo... 'Word of the Week' peoples! Booyah! This week's word is neither big nor clever, but one that's close to all of our hearts - leave a comment with examples of yours, and let's all celebrate FAIL.

p.s new section headers are smexy oui? oooo la la!
p.p.s I was never here and you didn't see me, mmmmkay? Good.

*runs and hides again*

Word of the Week

Main Entry: 1fail
Pronunciation: \ˈfāl\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English failen, from Anglo-French faillir, from Vulgar Latin *fallire, alteration of Latin fallere to deceive, disappoint
Date: 13th century

intransitive verb 1 a : to lose strength : weaken b : to fade or die away c : to stop functioning normally
2 a : to fall short b : to be or become absent or inadequate c : to be unsuccessful ; specifically : to be unsuccessful in achieving a passing grade d : to become bankrupt or insolventtransitive verb 1 a : to disappoint the expectations or trust of b : to miss performing an expected service or function for
2 : to be deficient in : lack
3 : to leave undone : neglect
4 a : to be unsuccessful in passing b : to grade (as a student) as not passing
(definition curtsey of Merriam-Webster.com)


Or... As Urbandictionary.com informs us:

Fail: either an interjection used when one disapproves of something, or a verb meaning approximately the same thing as the slang form of suck.
1] "you actually bought that? FAIL"
2] "this movie fails."

Catonspeed examples:

From Chapter 13 of The Workshop A Tale Of Edible Delights by danieller123
"What the fuck is so funny?" I asked. He snickered and kept working, glancing up once to look around the kitchen.
"Jessica has and STD." he tried not to smile, but failed miserably.
"What?" I held my hand over my mouth, laughing.
"Someone… ordered her to take a test and sure as fuck, she has fucking herpes." He did laugh this time, still assembling the pasta salad.
On a side note, if you're not reading this fic, you damn well should - I'll be rec'ing it at some point either way.

Or...

Catonspeed is in a state of EPIC update FAIL due to death flu/holiday/food poisoning/Haiti earthquake/Science book writing/PhD application process/2009-2010 mind raping/& a total lack of sleep *takes a deep breath* please forgive her... *cries*

Graphical representation:

I couldn't just pick one for this... I mean HELLO! have you google'd FAIL? Dew it. Fuckery and funny shit abound people!

Here are some of my favourites <- And in my land (England), it has a 'U' so yeah... suck it. *cheeky grin*




0 comments:

Post a Comment