Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Grammar Girl: WAIST vs WASTE

POSTGG


Last week's Grammar Girl segment on homophones seemed to be a bit of a popular one, with feedback from many of you both here and on Twitter. I'm thinking that the homophone issue is a large problem, and in some cases it can make for some classic comedy.

So, let's all thank Grrlnorth for today's segment. I have never read this in fan fic (at least I don't think so...), but apparently it irks the hell out of my fellow Torontonian. Grrlnorth wrote:

Now can you please explain the difference between waist and waste? It grosses me the fuck out when Jasper puts his arms around Bella's waste. Ewwwwwwww!!!!!!

Photobucket


M'kay...per Merriam-Webster, here is the difference:

waist is "the typically narrowed part of the body between the thorax and hips".

waste is...many things, but Grrlnorth's ewww factor is "excrement —often used in plural".

You don't do this:

Photobucket


You do this, like Jacob *grumble* <-- For real? There are no photoshopped pics of Jasper with his arms around Bella???:
Photobucket


Now for the tricky part. Kitty's paw is on the waist of waste...

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't scrolled down to see the pic when I read "paw on the waist of waste", so I was still looking at the Jacob/Bella pic going, yeah, that's about right...o.O HAHA!

    But dude, Mr. Hanky! That's awesome!

    I love this one. It annoys me too when people do that. Pfft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete