Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Selections For March 21, 2010


IdreamofEddy recommends The Art of Losing by sunflower-queen

Bella is not quite as quick to accept Edward at the end of New Moon. Bella/Edward. Rated: M

No, she really isn't. The truth is, Bella is harboring some serious bitterness, as well as the self-worthlessness we're familiar with. Plus, to top it all off, she encourages reactions from both Edward and Jacob to exemplify it. Only when you truly hit bottom, can you work your way back up.

As much as I love stories based off of New Moon, the one area that I really never explored, myself, was after Bella and Edward return from Volterra. The truth is, that is the second part of the book where I cursed Bella because she takes him back so easily. The only other story that I've read which takes off from this (or these) scene(s) is Lolashoes' My Yes, My No. I thought it was superb.

I think this story, with just the elements of the dialogue between the characters alone, is excellent.

The Art of Losing is loaded with angst. I loved Bella in this story. I loved her. I also hated her with a passion, and I would have loved to have seen Paul snap her spine instead of...well, never mind. You have to read it to find out.

But it's not just Bella. It's Edward. And it's Jacob, too. I absolutely loved Jacob in this fic. And what's more, I loved what the author did to...finalize his position with Bella.

Some might say that the angst is a little overkill in this story, and I'll admit that at times I did feel it was a little overdone on Bella's end. There were moments where I wanted to kill her, but there were also moments where I wanted to applaud the hell out of her.

Edward in this story is just...wow. He's broken down until he's just a man who loves a girl, and he just wants to be with her no matter where she is. He's reduced to a level we can all appreciate and relate to. I wish I could post every piece of dialogue that makes this story a powerful and heart-wrenching work of ART. But I'll tease you with this... because this here is the best Bella I've ever read:

I took a step closer to him and smiled. I could feel it on my face. It felt terrifying.

I met his eyes with mine and rested my hand on his shoulder.

"I don't want you," I whispered, watching as his face jolted in shock. "You don't mean anything at all to me. You're no good for me. You were just a distraction. You're very good looking, you know, and I'm just a weak human, after all. You fooled me for a while, but now I see that behind the mask you're a complete monster. A soulless, evil, unnatural vampire. A murderer. How could I ever have loved you"


Oh, and then there's this! THIS!!

"Now you're beginning to understand, Edward," I whispered. "Now you're just starting to grasp what you did to me. How does it feel? Is there anything I can say or do to help in this moment? What if I told you I was lying? Would that help? Would the fact that I don't feel like that, have never felt like that soothe your pain? Would the revelation that no matter what I do, my sick heart continues to love you, help?"

You simply have to read it because you have to read how Edward comes to terms with this. And he does it so well. I loved it HARD.


JaspersBella recommends Love, Lies and Lullabies by aerialla1

A simple wish from Bella to Edward on her birthday will change their lives forever. Edward/Bella. Rated: M

It's still hard for me to find stories about Edward that I like. So, again, I'm sticking with my favorite writer, aeriella1.

This story starts off with Alice having a tragic vision of Bella. As she is trying to convince the family to go back to Forks to help Bella, she gets resistance from Edward. In the meantime, we see what happens to Bella and her family. It's very sad. I wonder if you will catch who Bella's husband is right off the bat.

Be sure to check out the dedication in Chapter 2. *smirks*

Flashback
The birthday party and all the events still happen, but instead of Edward leaving Bella, she finally convinces him to give into her desire. Things go much better than expected until the next day when Bella is covered in bruises. And, of course, Emoward comes out to play. He decides to leave Bella at this point. I love the ending of this chapter because Bella stands up for herself.

Back to the present, the Cullens arrive in time to save a very pregnant Bella, but not her family. In the hospital, the Cullens find out a secret that Bella, and even Alice, have been hiding. Bella isn't very happy about seeing the Cullens again. She tells off Carlisle and gets into a major fight with Edward over her secret.

I know some of y'all are gonna be a little upset about who Bella married, but stick with her flashbacks of the two of them. He loves her with all his heart and they are really good together. I even have a soft spot for him now and, boy, that really surprised me.

I can't say too much about this story without giving away the secret, and I really want y'all to read it. This is an incredible story. It's only 12 chapters in, but there is so much happening. Edward shows a really sweet side, but you also see his bad side. I absolutely love this Bella. She isn't the innocent, starry-eyed pushover that we always see. I can't wait to see what happens next. Right now, I'm not rooting for a Happily Ever After for Edward and Bella, but I have a feeling that Aeriella will change my mind. Go read it and enjoy!


Maelyn recommends Guarding Edward by katmom

A stalker is trying to get close to 24 y/o HUMAN Edward Masen, a concert pianist. He hires Elite Guardians to keep him safe and to find out who is hunting him. Bella Cullen is the owner/operator of the company AND she's a 110 y/o VAMPIRE. AU/Canon couples. Bella/Edward. Rated: T

Okay, okay. No one fall over dead. Yes, I'm rec'ing a T-rated fic. *chuckles* But there are good reasons!

First, it's got a nice storyline with a twist. Instead of Eddie the vamp and Bella the human, the roles are reversed. Here, Edward is a famous pianist who needs protection. Enter the Elite Guardians, run by Bella, of course.

I really love the role reversal here. It's done well without making Eddie look TOO much like a wimp (I mean, he's still human, so he's a wimp in comparison, but you know what I mean). The author still includes the singer aspect, but with Eddie being Bella's singer, instead, of course. It's a great scene when she first encounters his scent. I love when authors don't make Bella the supervamp.

There is also such a good storyline, with Eddie being hunted (and by who), and then there is a twist and he's hunted in a new way. And all throughout the fic, Bella and company are there to keep him safe and pull his ass out of the fire, when necessary (i.e. when he does something stupid).

The love story is very sweet, as well. There is even some UST, which you don't see the end result of because of the fic rating (unfortunately), but it's still there. I liked seeing how their love begins and grows throughout the fic.

Oh, and then there is the blood thing towards the end. After Eddie becomes a vampire, there is a reason why they need to put him on the fast track to being around human blood. So, they develop this way of helping, which I must say is so original and I give kudos to the author for thinking it up.

I could go on and on about this fic, of course, but I'd much rather you go read it. So, what are you waiting for? Shoo!


MissMaj recommends The Antidote by jandco

I'm TRYING to do something completely out of my element...alternate universe. Picks up at the end of Twilight. Suppose there was an actual reason for "La Tua Cantante"...Edward becomes human. Kind of OOC. Rated M.

Most people who know me know that I am not a fan of VampWard, but there are three stories which make the exception. They even make my favourites list. The Antidote is one of them.

jandco does an interesting take on "La Tua Cantante". What if drinking their singer's blood would actually make them human again? I've never come across another fic of this nature, and it's quite an interesting premise. The story begins at the hospital when Bella wakes up after the ballet scene in Twilight. She is alarmed by the absence of Edward, so as soon as she returns to Forks, she goes straight to the Cullen mansion...only to find Edward is human.

At first I was ecstatic that the two can finally have their happily ever after. I mean, is it really that simple to get that kind of happy ending for them? It is quite endearing to read Edward's experiences as a human: peeing for the first time (outside the car, while Bella is inside, no less), eating (Edward, as it turns out, prefers hard taco to soft), kissing Bella... and I mean really kissing. None of that chaste crap. And their first time... I really loved that one. No, not in a pervy kind of way. I just really loved how awkward and realistic it was. He acts like a horny teenager, and it is adorable.

But amidst the lovey-dovey scenes between the two lovebirds, there are some problems lurking ahead. One is Rosalie, who has always wanted to be human in the first place. She becomes adamant about finding her singer. What would the future hold for her and Emmett if she does find her singer? There is also Jasper's bloodlust. How can the two survive living in the same household when one is constantly craving the other's blood? Plus, there is Victoria, who is still a threat to them. And, of course, there's the Volturi. As the problems arise, the more infuriated and lost Edward becomes. He is no longer Bella's saviour, and that leaves him helpless and insecure. The Cullen family is falling apart, threats surround them, and there is only one way for them to survive this. But is it worth it?

jandco is one of my favourite writers in the fandom, even though she kind of cheats with Emmett's singer's theory :D. She really understands Meyer's characters, and she writes them beautifully. When you read her fics, you'll understand why she's considered one of the most respected writers out there. This fic is a must-read for everyone, even the non-canon readers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment