Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday Selections for April 4, 2010



It's Free-For-All Month, so around here for the month of April, anything goes! Enjoy!!


IdreamofEddy recommends Broken Lights on the Freeway by Chibi-Kari

"This is more important, Char! There are rules and she is proof someone is going around breaking them! We should have just killed her." "I think there is a better question, Peter. How she’s still alive." Will be Bella/Jasper.

Okay, so Broken Lights on the Freeway (love the title, BTW) - I was talking to Tina about this fic and we both kind of had the same idea. It reminds us of The Last Mile, by catonspeed, yet it's totally unique in its own right. What we have here is what I believe to be a good combination of canon Peter and Charlotte with a little edge in character. They find a nineteen year old Bella lying in the middle of the interstate outside of Vegas. And she is...psycho. Void of everything. It's only obvious something dreadful has happened to our dear Bella.

Some would say she's out of character, but we really don't know the background information yet on just what happened to her after Edward and the Cullens left her in New Moon. We do know that the events, however, seem to be possibly traumatizing, so I'm thinking...yeah, she's lost it ALL. Hence her desire to just want to die. And she tries. She tries hard.

Anyways, Chibi-Kari's writing is great. I find the best quality of her writing is just her dialogue between the characters alone, even without what I consider to be a great inflection of dialect into a lovely Charlotte and a crass Peter. I simply love these two in this story. And our Bella, even though she is a basket case, sounds like she has had to grow up rather quickly - and with it, she's made a few discoveries about herself and the relationship she had with Edward and the Cullens.

It's a quick read through to get caught up. The chapters are short, and there are only eight of them. The last update was at the beginning of March, but I believe she's incredibly busy with real life, so don't bug her. Hopefully, though, she will continue this great story because it does have the makings of one.


Jasper’s Bella recommends The Twilight 25: Jumping into the Deep End by AccioBourbon

A series of one-shots and drabbles for the Twilight 25, a LiveJournal writing challenge. It's anything goes, rating-, character-, and genre-wise, as I learn to swim by jumping into deep water. Pairing: Varies. Rated: Varies.

Since this is our free-for-all month, I have decided to go with something a little different.

This is based off of a writing challenge on LiveJournal called the The Twilight Twenty-Five. To participate, each writer submits a short story or a drabble in response to a one-word prompt (a “drabble” is a short piece that must be exactly 100 words in length). There are 25 prompts in total. If you would like to what some writers have submitted for this challenge, go to Twilight 25 Live Journal.

I love AccioBourbon's writing. She has a fantastic one-shot called Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful. I fell in love with her Peter and Bella and added her to my author alerts. I soon discovered her The Twilight 25: Jumping into the Deep End and read through every chapter. I really enjoyed each new chapter, plus - BONUS - more Peter/Bella. Woohoo!

AccioBourbon doesn’t stick to just one pairing or person. Her first chapter is a drabble about Carlisle. It's only 100 words but it speaks volumes about Carlisle. Other pairings include Rosalie/Emmett, Alice/Jasper (I cringed at first but it’s cute), Daddysper (so cute), and Peter/Bella (my fave). Some of the chapters go along with some of AccioBourbon's other stories, and some are just a free-for-all.

I encourage you to go and read every chapter because it’s all really good. I'm looking forward to her last four chapters.


JaspersDestiny recommends A Change in Course by MissMaj

Bella and Edward made a vow that no person will ruin their friendship, no matter what. Two people comes along that will change the course of their friendship. AH/OOC; MA ONLY! Bella & Jasper

SURPRISE, MAJ! *giggles and sashays around while singing* I read an AH, I read an AH...I read Maj's story, I read Maj's story! Yep, poor Maj-bear. I've read every other Lamb's fic but hers...until now. I even told the other Lambs to not say anything, and I even teased her on gchat that I'd just finished reading this really great fic that I thought she'd love. She said, "Oooh, which pairing?" I said, "Bella and Jasper." She asked, "What's it called?" I told her I couldn't remember because Hotmail was fucking off and I couldn't get into my mail where I had it saved. Not...

So. My second ever AH (after Dark Whispers). I went into reading this with a bit of a scowl on my face because I can never, ever think of the Twi-characters as human. Like, ever. But Maj makes it work. I really, truly love this story and where it's heading.

Bella and Edward (uh oh) are the bestest of friendses, like since birth. They have both experienced EVERYTHING together through the years - and I mean everything. Their bond runs deep and they are so very protective of one another. Bella hasn't had the best of luck in the men's department of the mall of life, and Edward...well, he's still the same Edward who is afraid to completely let go, but he has his reasons.

I love Maj's characterizations here. All of her characters hold the same characteristics as our vamps (I really love how she's thrown them all together here), but I have to tell you - after meeting Maj twice now, I had to giggle on the subway into work last week while reading this story because her Bella is a lot like her, from the surprise-wedding-ending-drunk-Bella to the throwing-beer-in-someone's-face-Bella to clumsy-as-hell-smexin-with-Jasper-Bella. I can't help but imagine Maj when I read Bella in this story. So, you know what that means, Maj? Yep! I envisioned you having sex with Jasper! *closes eyes and envisions you nekked* Hahahaha...

Anyway, yes, it is a Jasper/Bella fic - at least that's what it's labeled as, but I have to tell you *clears throat* I really don't care about those two so much as I care about what's going on with Peter and Edward. Yes, boys and girls, this puppy is going to be a slash/non-slash romantic fic (in time), and I honestly can't wait to see how things progress between Peter and Edward. Edward is so cautious here, and Peter fucked up in the past and wants to set things right this time. My heart just goes out to these two, and Maj makes you really care about them. Don't get me wrong, I care about Bella and Jasper, too, but I swear the whole Edward/Peter thing came out of nowhere and hit me in the face...especially since I am not one to read, or potentially read, slash.

Great job, Maj! You made me love another AH!

On a side note, I have to give Maj props for giving Toronto so many shoutouts, some of which I offer here for you (just scroll over the scrapbook pics and they will enlarge for you):



And guess what, Maj? Just to make you smile and to kill two birds with one stone, I offer you and our Lambchops both a bit of Breakfast Television (a Toronto tradition) and...PURPLE NURPLE! Hahahahahahaha...




Maelyn recommends Love Net by Lalina

Bella chances upon Edward in a chat room and despite the distance they begin to fall in love. But what secrets is Edward hiding and can they overcome the obstacles standing between them? AH BxE Rated M

With so much of our lives online nowadays, it's not surprising that there are fics where Bella and Edward meet online and fall in love. This is what happens in this fic.

Bella goes into a chatroom one day because her coworkers are too, and while there she meets Edward. They hit it off really well and start chatting and exchanging emails, etc. This of course leads to talks on the phone and eventually, after a little hiccup, a meeting that goes amazing. Boom, they are in love. It's sweet and beautiful and simple, right?

Wrong. Oh, so wrong. There is a problem - a very big problem - that gets in the way. Then they somewhat get passed that only to have that problem come run them over when they least expect it.

I don't like to go into too many details about things in a fic. I don't like to give away too much plot. I think it detracts from the story.

I will say this, though: It has the best EVER proposal scene I've ever seen, heard, or read - EVER EVER EVER! I cried, it was so beautiful. Actually, I cried a couple of times in this fic because I'm a sap and a romantic and it just gets to me.

So, go read it. I can't imagine how you could not like this fic (or LOVE the proposal scene). It's worth it, really.

2 comments:

  1. See, I've told her how much I love her fic, but she doesn't believe me, I don't think. LOL I'm not a slash fan either, AT ALL really. But I actually LOVE ACIC's Peter and Edward. I love them all. I can't wait to find out what's going on with Peter and Jasper, though I have some ideas about what Jasper's hiding. Can't wait for the next chapter! Oh yeah, and MiniMaj reads it too. I just make her skip past the naughty bits. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys, I really do. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete