Thursday, April 8, 2010

Word of the Week - surreptitious

Word of the Week


Pfft. You wish! *mumbles* Shit, I wish...

No, it's just me. Lucy is still fighting with security at her work so she can continue on her insane, inhuman mission to catch up on some insubordinate's SNAFU. Sigh...

So, *cracks knuckles* I'm going to try my hand at Word of the Week!

Today's word is 'surreptitious'. Why? I dunno... It just came to me. And apparantly it doesn't appear very often in Twilight fan fiction. I could only find two examples of its use in the FFn database, one of which I provide here:

There's another small chuckle and I pray he hasn't noticed my traitor body's reaction to his presence. I quickly remove my bag from my shoulder and pull out my usual props; my beaten up copy of 'Slaughterhouse-Five', and my Pepe le Pewe lunchbox. Opening up my book I begin my routine of pretending to read, whilst surreptitiously peeking over at guitar guy and hanging on to every word he sings.
~Chapter 1 of Place to be by hellomynameislulu

According to Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: sur·rep·ti·tious
Pronunciation: \ˌsər-əp-ˈti-shəs, ˌsə-rəp-, sə-ˌrep-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin surrepticius, from surreptus, past participle of surripere to snatch secretly, from sub- + rapere to seize — more at rapid
Date: 15th century
1 : done, made, or acquired by stealth : clandestine
2 : acting or doing something clandestinely : stealthy (a surreptitious glance)
-surreptitiously ADVERB

I now provide lulz for your viewing, and educational, pleasure *wink*



Not so surreptitious:



0 comments:

Post a Comment