Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grammar Girl: COME vs CUM

POSTGG


Wendy brought up a beauty for me:

Came across one today----- (okay, I'm snickering here)

come versus cum

Work with that, bb (yeah, I'll work with that one, Wendy!)

To
cum or to come? That is the question!

To be perfectly frank, both terms are correct. Many publishing houses have put forth books where
cum is the slang term used to reference semen, ejaculation, or orgasm.

I used to come from the mindset that orgasming should be separated from the act of 'moving towards something', as in the difference between the following two sentences:

"Are you
cumming for me, baby?"

"Mom, I'm
coming for dinner!"

I used to think one would want a distinction between the two words.

But in reality, when one orgasms, one is actually 'moving towards something' (ie. release). So, I have changed my tune.

Plus, by definition,
cum is a Latin word with several meanings, including with, when, since, and although (used in Latin honors) - it has nothing to do with sex.

Also, being a stickler for consistency, I have to object to the word
cum and any of its derivatives because how does one say cum in the past tense - cummed? No, one would say came...which comes from come...err...you get the idea?

0 comments:

Post a Comment