Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Selection for June 13, 2010

POSTSS


Merina Green recommends The Quiet Room by givemesomevamp

So, I'm a little crazy.You're a little dead, but I don't keep throwing that up in your face."I had to admit she made a valid point. I was still wary, but we out numbered her at least. After all, how much trouble could one small human possibly be. OOC/AU


For today's Sunday Rec, I'm going with The Quiet Room by givemesomevamp. The Quiet Room is technically a Jasper/Bella story, but it's a slow build, and the pairing doesn't make an appearance till several chapters in; actually, Jasper has made his appearance, but the pairing hasn't really begun yet - there's too much...stuff...going on. Who HAVE made a STRONG appearance are Peter and Garrett. And a crazy-ass Bella who will break your heart with all she's been through.

The story starts with Bella in the Quiet Room of the local home for, well, crazy people. It is a hell hole. Why she is there, and what has happened to her in the years since the Cullen's left, is slowly revealed – no quick easy answers here, people. Peter is hanging out, watching the crazies, because, well, he's bored. He's bored, and Charlotte has left him home alone because she's off on a mission...but that's another story. He's bored, and he goes to watch the crazies, and damn if he isn't shocked to see one of the crazies watching him back.

Intrigued, he goes back again. And again. And again. Sort of like Days of Our Lives for vampires. Except he starts to become attached to the girl he's watching. Sort of like those kitten's you see at the pound, you know? And while he's sitting in the tree, watching the girl through the window, Garrett shows up. And he stays. Because Garrett is a curious kind of guy, and he wants to see what has his old buddy Peter so intrigued.

And then some really bad shit starts happening, and, well, the next thing you know, the two of them are the proud owners of a newly freed human.

There is a lot of humor in the story so far, but don't think it's a funny story. Its not. Its dark, and heartbreaking, and will make you cry. I adore givemesomevamp's interpretation of the nomads. She does an excellent job of showing how little contact they actually have with human society. The Cullens were always attempting to be part of human society, even though they were not truly integrated. These two (Bella calls them Red and G-Red, because of their eyes, and well, because of her general drugged state of crazy) have really forgotten their human ways. They become very attached to Bella, and everything about her fascinates them. They love her, in a familial way. Anything else is saved for Jasper, who is apparently coven-less himself, now.

So, while the story is not ABOUT nomads, per se, they are the major characters (along with Bella) for the first several (17 so far) chapters, and I have a feeling they will continue to be major players in the story. They sure better be, because givemesomevamp does a GREAT job of writing them, and I'll go into withdrawals if they don't continue to be a part of things!



So what is Maj's excuse this time:
Apologies for the late posting, on top of my failure to write my own recommendation. I'm um... quite indisposed at the moment. I'm pretty sure I had some of my late night antics posted somewhere on Twitter for everyone to see, including something about my sudden love for laminate wood flooring, idk idk. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lambs! Thanks so much for pimpin' out my bit of crazy. Much appreciated.

    Especially this:"There is a lot of humor in the story so far, but don't think it's a funny story. Its not. Its dark, and heartbreaking, and will make you cry." Because while yes, it's good for some giggles; the countless reviews I've recieved saying "Not as funny as the last chapter" make me wonder where I went so horribly wrong.
    Anyway, thanks again for the love. You made my fucking week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) You're very much welcome, Nic! And don't wonder too much - every reader gets their own thing out of what the author is writing (Well, I'll admit it - I'm wondering right there with you. Because the parts that make me laugh, well, really, they just make me cry harder, too.) ANyway, I think you're doing everything right.

    B) Laminate Wood Flooring? Really, Maj? Is THAT what you were trying to say last night? Huh...*going back to re-read the tweets. Must not be as fluent in Tequila-speak as I thought. I sure didn't get Laminate flooring out of all that....*

    ReplyDelete