Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grammar Girl: QUIT vs QUITE vs QUIET

POSTGG


I would like to thank JamesRamsey, author of Insecurities, for feeding me with today's segment!

QUIT versus QUITE versus QUIET

Mmmm hmmm...

Three different words, but they seem to be used interchangeably QUITE often, yes? My mind becomes QUIETLY peaceful when I see that an author has QUIT using the three incorrectly.

Let's dissect, shall we?

QUIT: put an end to a state or an activity; I almost went back. I almost turned around and fell down on my knees and started begging again. But I knew that I had to quit Bella, quit her cold turkey, before she killed me, like she was going to kill him. Jacob, Breaking Dawn

QUITE: adverb; completely; entirely; really; truly; positively; to some, or a considerable, degree or extent; very or fairly; "If I'm away from you for any length of time, I'll have to start over again. Not quite from scratch, though, I think." Edward Cullen, Twilight

QUIET: making little or no noise; I heard my favorite sound in the world: Edward’s quiet laugh, weak with relief. Bella Swan, Twilight

0 comments:

Post a Comment