Friday, November 27, 2009

The Lambs Review Insecurities by JamesRamsey




Okay, so this here is our first group review, and we're popping our cherry, of course, on a Jasper/Bella fic.  Our group review will be posted on the last Friday of every month, and we're still working on developing a format that will bring you information and opinions about the fic, and possibly in the future, information about and from the author.  Our group review will usually focus around a fic that uses our character or characters for the month, but the time might come when we'll have to stray from this course.  December will be dedicated to Emmett Cullen.

We all threw several stories into a 'hat', you could say (there were many great stories to choose from), and after that we each individually voted for what we would like to review.  The winner was Insecurities, by JamesRamseyInsecurities is a work-in-progress and the first story brought to us by JamesRamsey.  We hope you all find this review truthful, helpful, and informative.  Like I said, the choice was HARD, as there are so many great Jasper fics out there, and I personally will never tire of reading about Jasper.  Hope you enjoy.

Insecurities by JamesRamsey

Suddenly I realized the family had it wrong. I had it wrong. Jasper was not attacking me and Edward was not protecting me. AU OOC Rated M to be safe - My first story



Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities <-- this is all I've heard from Vicki for the past two weeks, and that's as long as I've been chatting with her... no joke.

Thank god she's a feisty persistent lady, because I finally got around to reading it, and devoured it like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet. And it was good...mmmmmm!

We start at the papercut, and then all bets are off and the canon is destroyed from the explosion of the scene JamesRamsey builds in chapter one. Edward truly is the monster he warned her about all along, and the fallout is catastrophic to Bella's emotional state, impacting her change and the start of her life as a vampire.

Thrown out the window is the magical instant 'just add venom' vampire - we are given a Bella who struggles with the world she finds herself unceremoniously thrust into, without the man she thought loved her. But, we get Jasper. Hot, commanding, take charge, GOD OF WAR Jasper. I love him. A lot. Even if I do feel the need to smack him in the face when he gets all possessivesper when she's hugging Peter. Who is a great and always welcome addition when writers play with the AU world. JamesRamsey spins a blood based family bond between the pair of them, which I've not seen done before, and it's great - I can't wait to see her gain some of herself back and interact with him and Charlotte more.

Emmett and Rose also play key roles, with both of them forming close bonds with Bella - especially Rose, who becomes the sister she should have been all along. All it took was a cheeky little scuffle resulting in near death! Someone should of alerted movie Bella to this little fact - then Rose might have backed her and not thrown her to the wolves (holyshit that's a bad bad unintended joke... i'm leaving it in though... ha ha!)

But, my main focus in this fic is pinned on Jasper *le sigh* who we can see gradually, but definitely falling more and more in love with Bella each chapter, with the descriptions and inner dialogue putting you right in the moment, cheering him on:

'Her breasts and her hips had filled out but her waist had remained tiny giving her some very dangerous curves that would bring men to their knees. God knows I was sure appreciating them. Woah Cowboy, she is going to be your sister, remember' - Yeah... you keep telling yourself that... we believe you ;)

Of course, like a man, he forgets to explain the important things, like the distinction between wife and mate (he's not with Alice any more - but completely fails to mention this to Bella), so we get great rises and falls in the tension, and you know it's going to be great when they finally get it together. JamesRamsey builds us an excellent Jasper, who digs into that natural leadership we all know is in there, and we wished would take charge of us... us? Sorry! I meant in situations where one requires swift and affirmative action from a military deity *shifty eyes* yeah... that's totally what I meant... Either way, he's great, and I'm jonesing for the next chapter already!

So, I'm going to take a leaf from Vicki's book, and finish with this:

Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities, Insecurities.

Go read it, and leave it some inappropriate handsy love.

(Note from IdreamofEddycatonspeed (Lucy) is responsible for her own fuckery.  I try to link up all titles and author names, but that shit up above was just unreal.  This proud to be an American bitch ate too much fuckin' turkey and needed to go to sleep, because Wal-Mart opens at 5am.)


I first started reading Insecurites back in September when it first came out. I was just messing around searching for something new, when I found it. Long story short, I lost the story, and it was Mae that brought the story back to my attention.

This story has another unique approach to the 'what could have been' with the paper cut scene. Edward has finally given in to the call of Bella's blood, and at first I was skeptical because, after all, he did already taste her blood during the incident with James. The second time I read the passage, however, I actually decided it was a unique alternative because JamesRamsey emphasized why and how Edward finally managed to snap.

Bella's change was perhaps one of the best descriptions, and the feelings involved with the process, that I have ever read. I've read a lot of these, and the author truly put some thought and took her time with this. I thought it was great.

Though Bella and Jasper do not immediately fall into a relationship, there's a few references to immediate attraction. Now, I love taking the characters and making them out of character, but considering that Bella and Edward's relationship was just lost, I was just slightly put out by this. However, they do not progress into a relationship, so it balances out. There's a lot of banter back and forth, the feelings are there, but certain circumstances keep the two apart, and I love a good build up.

I was also a little worried that perhaps this story was going to have 'SuperBella' tendencies, because her shield is not her only gift. The truth is, however, Bella - in this story - also seemed a little weak for me. I had to take into perspective, though, that she is a newborn and her heart had been broken. So, she has some serious esteem issues, and Bella is not comfortable with her new self.

This also takes the gifts that are involved with her character and makes them seem not so significant. If they do play an active role in future chapters, it will be well played because she is growing and maturing as a vampire, and healing as well.

Bella is not necessarily weak, but it's an interesting perspective to take with her character as a newborn. Instead of wild and out of control, the author has made her sort of mindful and dependent on those she trusts. I always think too much into this at times, but the Bella in this story was turned into a vampire and hadn't fully been prepared for it yet.

James Ramsey's Jasper is very..very..GOOD. He has all the characteristics I love to see in his character. Gentle, loving, intelligent, and you don't want to piss him off. I love it! Him! I mean. 

All in all, I have to say I like this story, very much. It'll be interesting to see how it continues. JamesRamsey also gives essence and character to all of the Cullens and to some others, as well. For her first story, it's damn good. The only advice I have to offer, (and I can't believe this is coming from me..) is to break up the dialogue. Having two characters talk back and forth in the same paragraph can be a little confusing and doing that just makes for an easier read. I'll be waiting for more, because this is a story I cannot quit reading. Great Job, JamesRamsey.


To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of this story until joining this blog/*shhh, okay!? I've been way too busy to look up new fics...sigh. So, when we decided to do a group poll, each of us posting our two top choices and then anonymously voting from that list, I thought to myself, "Hmm, a new fic would be so awesomely refreshing right now..."

So, here we are. I read all 14 chapters of JamesRamsey's first fanfic in about a day and a half. The opening chapter A) blew me away - you'll have to read it to understand why, and B) was the reason I kept on reading. This chapter is just so very raw and intense. And, Edward? HA hahahaha...love it! Cuckooooo! I cannot wait to see what's going to happen with this nut-job! Everything happens so suddenly in this first chapter, that you're instantly glued, wanting to find out how things turn out for Bella. What is she going to be like? I thought JamesRamsey does an excellent job of describing Bella's change and, for the most part, I would have to say that Bella is like a true newborn. I just wish she had more of a savage reaction upon waking, where her thirst was beyond control. I almost wanted to see her ripping her hair out...but, I'm crazy like that. I understand that this is part of who Bella is, as JamesRamsey created her, and you really get a feel for Bella's craze when her powers are later put to use, and how this drains her.

And, then you find out about Alice and Jasper's true relationship, and this sets things up pretty nicely for Jasper and Bella later on. But, Bella and Jasper have other things planned, unfortunately. Jasper's a little slow...and he doesn't realize the errors of his ways sometimes – both in love and in training. Or, maybe he's just ignorant of a particular situation because I have to tell you that I was screaming at him with Alice during a particular conversation. I like the constant sexual tension between Jasper and Bella, and Jasper's protectiveness of Bella makes me want to Chia Pet long, luscious brown hair and pretend I'm of the Swan lineage. While Bella can sometimes come across as a little too needy, I believe that her neediness of Jasper, especially, is understood due to their connection, in more ways than one. They’re doing a little looove dance right now, but they need someone to paint those footsteps on the ground for them...they better not need little asses painted on the sheets, however; when that time comes...I want Bella to take Jasper hard and swift!

I like the Ontario locale, Ms. Ramsey/*winks...but, what else should I expect from a Canadian author? I always appreciate a good fic that takes you away from the usual locale and the usual suspects (this is, thank God, a non-high school tale). I find it keeps things interesting for the reader when the story is set-up this way.

The title of this story obviously refers to insecurities, but not just Bella's insecurities. And, believe me when I write that Bella has many reasons to feel insecure in this story, as is made evident right from the start. Edward's a royal fuckjob of the highest order and this messes with Bella's mind, for obvious reasons. Every girl wants a French kiss on their birthday, don't they? Edward...nah...why be THAT peon when he can give her the hickey of the century and tell her how he ACTUALLY feels about her? Much better option, Edward...much! While I understand why she's so insecure, however, sometimes I wish she wasn't so insecure, too, if that makes any sense? Or, again, maybe I mean her ‘neediness’? But, I would have to say that all of the characters are feeling some insecurity of some kind. Rose is trying to forge a sistership with Bella and is wary of Bella's potential acceptance of her, especially after Rose's cold behaviour towards Bella previously. But, Rose, who has always been a personal favourite of mine, proves to be a great supporter of Bella in this story. Emmett is navigating his way with a different Bella than he's sort of used to. He's the protective big brother and finds it difficult to witness Bella in her newfound strength, especially when directed toward him. Carlisle and, especially, Esme are dealing with being separated from Bella, and this makes them feel inadequate in their roles toward her. And, Jasper has his own demons he's battling in order to be accepted by Bella. Ah, Jasper...he's so foolish, too, sometimes. Have things started to heat up between my favourite man and Bella? Pfft, like I'll tell you...If I had to suffer 14 chapters of tension, you should have to, too! Add in my other favourites, Peter (there’s a surprise subplot) and Charlotte, and another surprise guest (so far), and you have a very interesting and eclectic group.

I look forward to whatever new surprises are in store. There's more to come for this story, I'm sure, and I look forward to seeing where JamesRamsey goes with it. For a first fic, though, I would have to say that JamesRamsey does an excellent job.


I love this story. So much so that I have nagged a number of people to read it and most everyone who did has enjoyed it as well.

I like how she dissolved the E/B and J/A relationships. The Edward twist was interesting and original and I'm curious if/how that will pan out for the future of her fic.

I like how Jasper and Bella's relationship is formed slowly, over time, while they bond and grow from friends to more. I've never understood the stories where they jump on each other so soon after Eddie leaves.

I like that Bella isn't 'Super Bella' and acts at least somewhat like a newborn. She hasn't yet come across a human, but I'm curious how that will play out when she does. She has strength issues and has to be careful of the things she does. She also has issues with her power and how to use it. And she has mental issues, irrational fears that nearly incapacitate her.

I like how Jasper isn't the pussy boy from the books, but rather the God of War so many of us consider he should be. He is sweet and loving with Bella, but still firm in dealing with her issues. But if others cross a line with him, or God forbid, threaten Bella, then watch out.

I like that the characters aren't perfect. Flaws are what make us interesting and unique, which is why I tend to enjoy characters more when they are more 'real' in that sense. And I think the reason I like the plot is that it's got an original twist, even if it's started from a point in the books, i.e. the birthday scene.

I like some of the little nuances like the difference between wife and mate. I thought that was an awesome interpretation. Not to mention the whole Peter/Bella thing. That was so original, I thought.

Favorite scene: I don't want to give too much away, but I'd have to say Jasper, shirtless, crouched in a battle stance protecting Bella. 'Cuz shirtless God of War Jasper is just YUM!!

This fic is still in progress, with only about 14 chapters so far, but it is an awesome story and I very highly recommend reading it.



I’m embarrassed to say that if it wasn’t for Mae, I never would’ve come across this story.

But I’m glad she’s one pushy mofo, because if it wasn’t for her I never would have discovered this fantastic story.

Not gonna lie, I had doubts when she first recommended me this story. She said that if I loved Colliding Meteors then I would appreciate this one. Of course, I scoffed at the thought. In my mind, nothing compares to CM.

I fucking hate that Mae’s right about everything in this story.

It blew me away as soon as I read the first chapter. And I ended up reading all 14 chapters in two days straight. Yes, I was that hooked.

The story had me at chapter one. It started with the birthday party scene and I loved how the writer dealt with it. It was a fresh and new approach to the typical New Moon AU fics.

I was whining to Mae about how Jasper was chattier and ‘nicer’ in this story, but all she said me to was to be patient and wait. Once again, she’s right. Somewhere around chapters 11-14, the writer finally shows us a glimpse of the God of War that we all know and love. And the best part? He comes in shirtless.

I was never a fan of insecure, self-deprecating Bella, but JamesRamsey gives Bella's behavior validity, and I actually find myself wanting to comfort her. And, whereas in other fics where you see her as the perfect newborn, the writer gives us the exact opposite, which I really love.

The romance brewing between Jasper and Bella is slow-paced, but not so much that you want to tear your hair apart for them taking too long to realize what they really mean to each other. Though there was a part when I wanted to flick Jasper in the head for his naïveté about Bella’s feelings for him.

So, I gotta thank Mae for recommending this story to me. I’m glad I didn’t bet against her because I could’ve lost so much for my skepticism.

I look forward to your updates, JamesRamsey!.

P.S. I owe you reviews. Lots of them. *hangs head in shame*




0 comments:

Post a Comment